Physicians is seeking an accomplished Assistant Director for the Voice and Engagement Department. This position will set and guide the strategy and help create content for all communications, website, social media and collateral materials to consistently articulate Physicians’ mission; increase the visibility of Physicians’ brand identity, advocacy, key staff and member/board physicians, with the goal that Physicians’ is viewed as a top source of fact, opinion and leadership within our network and to the media at large. The Assistant Director, Voice will work with the Leadership Training Academy (LTA) Communications Associate to help establish LTA physicians and fellows as well-educated and media trained spokespeople and advocates, assisting in pitches when necessary.
This is a full-time overtime-exempt position. This position is open to a remote work model for candidates outside New York, or under a hoteling work model (a combination of in-office and work-from-home days) for candidates in New York. The office is located in midtown Manhattan, and relocation assistance is not available at this time.
We offer a full comprehensive compensation and benefits package, which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage paid 90% by the organization. Physicians also offers an HRA, 401k match, cell phone reimbursement, life insurance, AD&D, STD, LTD, transit and parking benefits, FSA, and a generous vacation and holiday policy.
Reports to: Vice President, Voice and Engagement
Supervises: Communications Assistant
Position Duties Include:
Strategy and Planning
- Works with members of Physicians staff to shape the strategic communications of the organization
- Develops, implements and evaluates a comprehensive communications plan
- Builds name recognition and brand identity to position Physicians and its members as leading resources for scientifically and medically accurate information about abortion, contraception and other reproductive health issues
- Maintains strong relationships with medical and pro-choice coalition partners to carry out communications campaigns
- Develops a media strategy that integrates multiple media: print, digital, social media, broadcast, live events
- Pitches Physicians’ spokespeople and physicians to national, regional and specialized media as experts in reproductive health
- Develops and cultivates relationships with media sources, elite, and others that inform, reach and inspire conversation and action, in the reproductive health community and the general media, both regional and national
- Helps identify media and policy issues that can be leveraged to support our mission and our physicians
- With the Communications Assistant, manage all media contacts and outside PR consultants/firms
- Oversees the writing of press releases, public statements, speeches and other vehicles for disseminating Physicians’ position on reproductive health issues
- Works with Voice and Engagement team members to help craft and distribute select communications such as newsletters, blogs, website features and social media posts
- Develops talking points and briefs for media interviews
- Supports and helps prep Physicians’ spokespeople in preparing for interviews as well as training them for audio and on-camera interviews and appearances
- Produces news conferences, media briefings and teleconferences
- Identifies physicians and key staff with the potential to be strong Physicians’ spokespeople and provides them with necessary training to be strong advocates for Physicians’ mission
- Helps create and manages Voice’s and special projects’ budgets
- Supervises Communication Assistant
- Creates, manages and maintains procedures for tracking and evaluating effectiveness of overall communications outreach
- 8-10 years of experience in the non-profit communications field—weighted towards media outreach and public relations
- Proven experience coordinating and executing communications campaigns including: developing strategies, targeting audiences and developing/nuancing messages to reach and influence a variety of targets
- Experience and success developing stories and material for media, especially breaking news, across multiple media (web, social media, print, broadcast, etc.)
- Well-developed relationships with news sources, both in the reproductive health space and in general national media
- Outstanding, verbal and written communication skills, a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills
- Experience in the women’s health and/or reproductive health field
- Comfortable with telework technologies
- Ability to represent Physicians at external meetings and conferences
- Ability to travel as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s in related field preferred
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to handle competing deadlines
- Strong commitment to the reproductive health and rights of all people
To apply, please email your CV, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Assistant Director, Voice” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. HR will only contact successful candidates. Applications are reviewed until the position is filled.
Physicians for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to actual or perceived age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, religion, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, marital status, veteran status or other military status, legal alien status or citizenship status, genetic carrier status, genetic information, AIDS or AIDS-related complex or HIV status, being a victim of domestic violence, protected activity (i.e., filing a charge of discrimination, participating in a discrimination proceeding, or otherwise opposing prohibited discrimination),or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.