PDF of Job Description for Policy Assistant
Who we are:
Physicians for Reproductive Health (PRH), a network of doctors across the country, works to improve access to comprehensive reproductive health care. We do this by mobilizing and educating clinicians, speaking with the media, and advocating with our policy makers to achieve a vision of patient-centered health care that is safe, supported, and accessible.
We bring the physician’s distinctive voice to discussions about and debates over reproductive health care, ensuring that the patients we serve are centered and prioritized. We provide leadership and tools so that physicians can speak up and take action to advocate for the communities they care for. We use scientific expertise, medical evidence and lived experience to influence legislation, medical practice, and public opinion. We advocate for comprehensive reproductive health as a core part of all medical curricula. We train doctors to educate their colleagues and other health professionals on best practices in reproductive and sexual health care. We offer the strength of our network to physicians all over the country.
The current social and political climate requires that PRH remain steadfast in confronting attacks on access to reproductive health care and related progressive issues, yet nimble and creative in responding to those assaults.
How you’ll contribute:
The Policy Assistant is a part of the Public Policy and Community Support (PPCS) team. They will provide support for PRH’s advocacy activities. The Policy Assistant will help bring the medical perspective to policy makers and allied state, local, and national organizations in our network’s communities to shape and influence policy to advance access to comprehensive sexual and reproductive health care. They will work closely with all staff, particularly the PPCS team to support and execute advocacy activities to advance access to comprehensive sexual and reproductive health care. This is a full-time overtime exempt position. This position is fully remote, open to candidates in the United States.
- Participate in state, local, and national coalitions
- Track legislation relevant to PRH’s priorities
- Assist with drafting fact sheets, action alerts, testimony, talking points, position papers, and other policy related documents including web site content
- Support advocacy days and/or other community building activities as needed
- Support the communications team in their development of press materials and talking points
- Support the engagement team in developing relevant fundraising materials
- Share resources with our network and partners through webinars and trainings
- Identify opportunities for advocacy and work with other PRH staff
- Support activities to engage our physician network in target states
What you’ll bring:
- At least 1-2 years of experience in sexual and reproductive health policy or related field
- Familiarity with state/local/federal government process
- Understanding of organization and mobilization strategies
- Knowledge of the reproductive justice framework
- Ability to work within groups and coalitions
- Strong analytical, research and writing skills
- Ability to travel occasionally as assigned
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive health, rights, and justice
What you’ll experience:
PRH ensures that an equity lens, including a racial justice focus, is applied to organizational operations, including internal processes and infrastructure. We maintain a workplace culture that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff, deepening and strengthening a culture of equity and conclusion within the team and across the organization.
PRH offers a remote working environment with a flexible 35-hour work week. Additionally, PRH offers medical (including sponsored dependent and family plans) dental and vision insurance, generous vacation, sick, and holiday policies, 401k retirement plan with company matching contributions up to 3%, and parental leave benefits.
The starting salary for this position is $50,000.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are reviewed until the position is filled. Please indicate “Policy Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. HR will only contact successful candidates. Applications are reviewed until the position is filled.
Physicians for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people. We welcome and safeguard applicants and employees from discrimination for all positions on the full spectrum of education, experience, age, race, creed, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, gender expression, ancestry, marital status, parental status, veteran status or other military status, citizenship status, genetic carrier status, genetic information, or other non-merit based factors and characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.