Why is this SCOTUS vacancy so critical?
The retirement of Justice Kennedy from the Supreme Court is concerning for anyone who cares about the right to abortion and other fundamental rights. President Trump has been consistent and clear in his promise to only nominate justices to the Supreme Court who will work to destroy Roe v. Wade.
The nomination of Brett Kavanaugh reinforces why our constitutionally protected rights are under serious and unprecedented threat.
Who is Brett Kavanaugh?
Judge Kavanaugh has a known history of hostility towards reproductive health and rights. He’s voted on numerous occasions to block access to abortion and contraception.
- He ruled to block Jane Doe, a young immigrant woman, from obtaining an abortion in the U.S. As a result of this unnecessary delay, she was pushed into her second trimester.
- Under the guise of religious freedom, he has sided with employers who want to deny their employees access to birth control coverage without additional co-pays.
- He has received approval and praise from many anti-abortion groups, including the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation.
Is Roe v. Wade really in danger?
If Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed, the balance of the court will be stacked against Roe and the constitutional right to abortion. Judge Kavanaugh’s judicial record indicates a clear opposition to safe and legal abortion care.
For 45 years, the right to have an abortion has allowed countless women and families to make the decisions that were best for them. One in four women in the U.S. will have an abortion, and seven in ten Americans support Roe.
The Trump administration and its supporters’ goal of overturning longstanding precedent despite both medical evidence and public opinion can only be described as an extremist and dangerous view.
The administration and states across the country have already enacted numerous policies restricting access to reproductive health services, and we know they will continue to chip away at health care. Legal challenges to these harmful polices, and to Roe specifically, could soon appear before the Supreme Court.
Are other rights at risk?
The Supreme Court has enormous authority to affect the everyday health and well-being of us all. People of color, low-income families, people with disabilities, young people, and LGBTQIA people are particularly under threat from attacks on health care, voting rights, anti-discrimination laws, and more.
This nominee will harm not only abortion rights, but will imperil other fundamental rights we hold dear. If this nominee will not defend ALL of our rights, they are unqualified to serve a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court.
How can you help #SaveSCOTUS?
Your voice is absolutely essential to the chorus of Americans demanding the rejection of President’s Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh.
Here are a few easy ways to get involved:
- Send an urgent message to your senators: We’ve included a sample message asking your senator to reject Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination and protect Roe. Making your message personal, by adding your own thoughts or a story, will have the most impact.
- Call your senators: Get in touch with your Senate offices to express your concern about Roe and ask that they reject Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination. A sample script is included.
- Share your reproductive health story: Our Voices of Courage storytelling project shows the real-life harm that the Trump-Pence administration, Congress, state restrictions, and religious refusals have on people across the country. And you can also read the positive experiences people have had receiving reproductive health care.
- Donate: Make it possible for our physician-advocates to make their voices heard as we fight to preserve Roe and other policies that protect reproductive freedom and human rights.