Leadership Training Academy
Purpose of the Academy
The application period for the class of 2014 has now closed. The application for the Class of 2015 will be available in spring of 2014. If you would like to be added to our mailing list to be the first to know about when you can apply for a future class, please email Libby Benedict at email@example.com.
The Physicians for Reproductive Health Leadership Training Academy prepares physicians to become lifelong leaders in reproductive health advocacy. Through an intensive program, the Academy helps its Fellows develop and internalize the skills and attributes they need to be powerful, effective advocates for comprehensive reproductive and sexual health care.
- Firsthand advocacy experience
- Visits with lawmakers in state capitals and Washington, DC
- In-person sessions and webinars
- Opportunities to improve medical education and share best practices in reproductive and sexual health care with peers
- On-camera media trainings
- Chances to educate the public about contraception, abortion, STIs, and other aspects of sexual and reproductive health
- Collaboration with physicians around the country and across specialties
- Opportunities to build and strengthen coalitions between organizations
- Guidance from experts in medicine, advocacy, leadership, and communications
Who Can Apply
The Leadership Training Academy is open to:
- Physicians entering the second year of a Fellowship in Family Planning, those in their first year of a Fellowship if they already have an MPH degree and prior approval from their direct supervisor, and alumni of the Family Planning Fellowship. The Leadership Training Academy program, including travel and lodging expenses, is available at no cost to Family Planning Fellows and alumni through funds from a categorical grant.
- Practicing physicians or participants in fellowships other than Family Planning who are able to cover their own travel and lodging; the grant does not cover these expenses for this group of physicians. Also, these physicians are required to pay a $500 registration fee (includes training materials and meals.)
Note: Scholarship funds may be available to cover the expenses of one or more applicants who are not Family Planning Fellows.
In addition to meeting the requirements above, applicants should have already demonstrated great potential as leaders and worked to improve reproductive and sexual health care. Further, applicants should be ready, willing, and able to be confident, visible, and tenacious ambassadors for reproductive and sexual health.
Space in the Leadership Training Academy is limited. The program runs annually from September through June.
Physicians for Reproductive Health founded the Leadership Training Academy to foster future generations of self-driven physician leaders who will work throughout their careers to defend and advance comprehensive reproductive and sexual health care.
Physicians for Reproductive Health has been helping doctors become physician-advocates since its inception in 1992. Formalized in 2003, our leadership training program has graduated nine classes of doctors equipped to advance reproductive and sexual health care in their home institutions and beyond.
If you have questions about the Leadership Training Academy, please contact:
Director of Leadership Training Networks
Physicians for Reproductive Health
55 W. 39th Street, 10th floor
New York, NY 10018