Physicians for Reproductive Health (PRH), a network of doctors across the country, works to improve access to comprehensive reproductive health care. We do this by mobilizing and educating clinicians, speaking with the media, and advocating with our policy makers to achieve a vision of person-centered health care that is safe, supported, and accessible. The current social and political climate will require that PRH remains steadfast in confronting attacks on access to reproductive health care and related progressive issues, yet nimble and creative in responding to those assaults.
- We bring the physician’s distinctive voice to discussions about and debates over reproductive health care, ensuring that the people we serve are centered and prioritized.
- We provide leadership and tools so that physicians can speak up and take action to advocate for the communities they care for.
- We use scientific expertise, medical evidence and lived experience to influence legislation, medical practice, and public opinion.
- We advocate for comprehensive reproductive health as a core part of all medical curricula.
- We train doctors to educate their colleagues and other health professionals on best practices in reproductive and sexual health care.
- We offer the strength of our network to physicians all over the world.
- We work to ensure that equity and justice is the foundation of our work, including a commitment to racial justice and it is applied to organizational operations, including internal processes and infrastructure.
- We maintain a workplace culture that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff, deepening and strengthening a culture of inclusion and equity within the team and across the entire organization.
The State Communications Strategist will forward PRH’s mission by supporting the state-based media advocacy of our network of more than 440+ physician advocates across the country. The State Communications Strategist will respond to the real time needs of our provider network while serving as one of PRH’s representatives at state-based communications coalition tables. They will work on messaging, written media opportunities, and collaborate with the Assistant Director of State Policy and the Digital Strategist to align the needs of our provider community with PRH’s state policy strategy. They will manage reporter relationships for state and local media outlets, handle the logistics of interview prep and organization with our Board Members and Leadership Training Academy Fellows, and pitch relevant and timely story ideas to members of the media. This is a full-time, overtime exempt position. This position will be full remote, and open to candidates within the United States.
Director, Voice and Communications
Position Duties Include:
Media relations and support:
- Elevates PRH’s state policy goals across our communications work.
- Leads in the drafting of talking points in response to issues in our target states.
- Drafts press releases on state policy issues from PRH and op-eds, letters to the editor, and other media content for PRH’s spokespeople including our physician advocates, our President & CEO, and our Board of Directors in partnership with the Director of Voice and Communications.
- Manages and maintains relationships with reporters in our target states and pitches story ideas to these reporters based on relevant news and the expertise of our physician advocates.
- Represents PRH at relevant state coalition meetings in partnership with the Assistant Director of State Communications to ensure PRH’s state communications work follows the lead of organizers and advocates on the ground.
- Weaves PRH’s existing brand voice into the state-specific needs of our Leadership Training Academy classes, in support of past and present fellows.
- Provides the PRH team with feedback from coalition partners on ways that PRH can be responding to the needs of organizations with less resources and serving as liaison for the expert voice of physician advocates in our community to grassroots efforts.
- Serves as faculty for the Leadership Training Academy. Builds and maintains relationships with the physician fellows and operates as another support member for their advocacy efforts and needs.
- Collaborates with members of the Development team to offer updates to our donors on state-specific advocacy efforts.
Tracking and Analysis:
- Provides routine updates for our Board of Directors and stakeholders on state-specific media efforts.
- Tracks PRH’s press clips and updates them in the EveryAction content management system.
- Uses data to develop and implements state communications strategy efforts diversifying our reach, partnerships, and issues areas.
- 2-4 years with strong communications experience in a state-based advocacy organization or agency preferred
- Skilled copywriter and copyeditor
- Excellent at maintaining and building relationships with reporters, media outlets, PRH providers, and organizational partners, and experience with media tracking, media pitching, and drafting talking points, op-eds, and other forms of writing for advocacy purposes
- Competency in content management systems like EveryAction
- Exceptional research and communication skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Ability to develop, manage, and complete projects independently
- Ability to communicate with fellow staff, colleagues in the field, and physicians
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing demands and respond quickly to staff and physician requests
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong commitment to reproductive health, rights, and justice
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time overtime exempt position, with a starting salary of $70,000. PRH offers a remote working environment with a flexible 35-hour work week. Additionally, PRH offers medical (including sponsored dependent and family plans), dental and vision insurance, generous vacation, sick, and holiday policies, 401k retirement plan with company matching contributions, and parental leave benefits.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are reviewed until the position is filled. Please indicate “State Communications Strategist” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. HR will only contact successful candidates. Applications are reviewed until the position is filled.
Physicians for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people. We welcome and safeguard applicants and employees from discrimination for all positions on the full spectrum of education, experience, age, race, creed, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, gender expression, ancestry, marital status, parental status, veteran status or other military status, citizenship status, genetic carrier status, genetic information, or other non-merit based factors and characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.